AHRQ Hospital SURVEY ON PATIENT SAFETY™ (SOPS™)
The Center for Patient Safety (CPS) has developed a robust administration process that saves you hours of manual work and still provides plenty of opportunities for unique customizations all while adhering to AHRQ requirements for benchmark comparisons. CPS supports the use of all AHRQ patient safety culture surveys because of their global application, cross-survey relevance among different provider groups, and large compare databases.
Since 2011, CPS has administered hundreds of thousands of surveys to employees in hundreds of healthcare organizations across the country.
AHRQ defines Hospitals as:
- all types of hospitals, from acute care to rehabilitation and psychiatric hospitals, but the hospital must be located in the United States or in a U.S. territory.
- achieve higher than average response rates
- receive results within 30 days following the survey
- don't have to learn a new software system
- provide their historical data from other vendors for mapping into CPS reports
- love CPS feedback reports
- have access to a CPS custom library with more than 20 commonly-used question sets, including:
- Employee Engagement
- Second Victim
- Just Culture
- Health Information Technology Patient Safety Supplemental Items from AHRQ
- Value and Efficiency Supplemental Items from AHRQ
CPS supports AHRQ's Hospital SOPS™ v.2.0.
AHRQ's new HSOPS™ version 2.0 has the following changes from version 1.0:
- Reworded complex survey items and survey items difficult to translate;
- Added a “Does not apply or Don’t know” (NA/DK) response option;
- Shifted to a “Just Culture” framework to assess Response to Error;
- Revised the staff positions and units/work areas; and
- Reduced the number of negatively worded items could be reduced.
Do you need assistance deciding between administering Version 1.0 and Version 2.0? Review our tips in this blog where we break down one significant difference between 1.0 and 2.0.
The hospital survey 2.0 measures multiple dimensions of organizational culture.
- Communication About Error
- Communication Openness
- Handoffs and Information Exchange
- Hospital Management Support for Patient Safety
- Organizational Learning—Continuous Improvement
- Reporting Patient Safety Events
- Response to Error
- Staffing and Work Pace
- Supervisor, Manager, or Clinical Leader Support for Patient Safety
Hospital SOPS™ 2.0 also asks respondents:
- how many patient safety events they have reported
- to provide an overall rating on patient safety for their unit/work area
- to provide their background characteristics (staff position, unit/work area, hospital tenure, unit/work area tenure, work hours, and whether they have direct interaction with patients)
For more information about the AHRQ Hospital SOPS™, visit https://www.ahrq.gov/sops/surveys/hospital/index.html.
For more information from CPS or to begin your journey to a safer culture, please contact us below or request a free proposal.
Patient handoffs, nonpunitive response to mistakes, and staffing are consistently lower scoring areas. Patient safety experts from health systems and hospital settings will be assigned to you for post-survey support. They are experienced at drawing out the factors that are impacting your culture scores and help you efficiently determine the most valuable next steps.
Georgia Hospital Association Members: please contact your association for pricing.